Good Packaging
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Good And Bad Packaging
Bad Packaging
I think this is a really good example of bad packaging design. The type used is terrible. The white lettering is kind of hard to read on the yellow background. I also don't think the colors chosen and the gradient work it makes the packaging look dull. I think a solid much brighter yellow and having another strong color like red would be better and make it stand out a lot more. I think the hierarchy in the design is also weird. My eyes go to the Stater Bros. logo first because it's bright blue smack in the middle of the box, but it is the smallest element in the design. It makes the viewers eye kind of lost. Nothing about this packaging grabs my attention and makes me want to buy these bags
Here is another example of bad packaging. The design is very bland. Inside the gray box it feels like it is way to cluttered. Everything seems to be on top of one another. I also don't get a sense of a real strong focal point. The title is in larger type, but since it is black it doesn't really stand out. The same type with really no variation is used throughout making the design uninteresting. The bars and lines also make the design feel cluttered and chopped up distracting the viewer.
I think this cereal packaging is a good example of bad design. The overall design is very boring and bland. The type used is very poor. There also is no real sense of hierarchy either 3 elements take up the same amount of space; the viewers eye bounces around between the logo, name, and image of the cereal. I think the design could use more interesting imagery and more variety in color to make it more appealing.
This is packaging for a special edition Dale Earnhardt documentary. The packaging is a tin box which makes it unique. I think the overall design is done very well. The headline type stands out and is a good focal point. The photography used also adds a lot to the design the photo of Dale is dramatic and interesting. I also how they used a motion blur effect on the background it gives the design a sense of speed and energy which fits with the racing theme. The italic type also gives the design energy. The colors really make the design stand out and fit perfect with Dale Earnhardt. The red, white, and sepia really stand out on the black background and grabs the viewers eye.
This example is a ZZ Top CD box set called Chrome,Smoke, and BBQ. I think this is a good example of well designed packaging because it is very unique and creative. The packaging itself is of a shanty roadside diner with the roof opening up and exposing the CD's. ZZ Top in big type stands out so the viewer knows exactly who the box set is for. The shanty diner theme fits ZZ Top's image perfectly. They are a blues, rock band from Texas, and in all their music videos and album art they have images of hot rods driving down the highway in the desert, and the packaging looks exactly like a diner you would see in the middle of desert. The packaging really portrays the gritty image the band has. It is very unique and stands out on the shelf which makes it successful.
This is set of Grey Goose bottles I feel are a good example of good packaging design. I really like the overall concept of the design. Having the entire bottle etched with the shape of the goose being clear so the picture on the other side of the bottle shows through is a really cool idea. The pictures are of the different flavors, and use bright and vivid colors which grabs the viewers eye and really makes the bottles stand out from the crowd. The pictures look like Monet paintings which I think is another cool idea, because the vodka is from France so it gives the bottles a very European feel. There is also a good balance of negative space which makes the bottle look clean and classy. The type also is very classy and adds to the high end look of the bottle which is good since Grey Goose is expensive vodka.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I agree with the bottles of Grey Goose. The design attracts the younger crowds with its vibrant colors. It is specifically attracting the crazy party kids or young adults who want to be considered hip and in style.
the cleansing pads are pretty bad. my eyes kind of shift back and forth between the vertical text and the product name; theyre too close in size and competing for my eyeball's attention.
but that cd box is pretty awesome!
-ashley barriga-
I love that CD box design. It is very unique and has an interesting concept. It grabs my attention!
Pantene pro v is just too plain. This design needs something to make if more alive.
Post a Comment