Monday, October 13, 2008

Project 2 Health and Beauty



Pantene Pro V

 

Brand of Procter and Gamble


 

Mission Statement- We will provide branded products and services of superior quality and value that improve the lives of the world's consumers, now and for generations to come. As a result, consumers will reward us with leadership sales, profit and value creation, allowing our people, our shareholders and the communities in which we live and work to prosper.

 

History- Procter and Gamble was created in 1837 when two brothers in law, James Procter and William Gamble, decided to go in to a soap and candle making business together.  From there it was their goal to make the lives of their consumers better and easier with their products.  Over time they focused mostly on making soap due to the invention of electricity and less demand for candles.  In the early 20th century as the company grew they built new factories and research facilities.  With this growth they diversified their products and invented, Crisco, a shortening made of vegetable oil rather than animal fats.  The company continued it’s mission on improving the lives of consumers by creating many new innovative brands such as Tide, Downey, Crest, and Pampers the first disposable diaper.

 

Products- Many of Procter and Gamble’s products are everyday consumer necessities such as shampoos, laundry detergents, soaps, dental hygiene, skin care, household cleaners, pet food, coffee, cosmetics, baby care, personal hygiene, and batteries.  Some of the major brands include: Bounce, Braun, Cheer, Charmin, Clairol, Cover Girl, Crest, Gillette, Duracell, Folgers, Iams, Tide, Dawn, Old-Spice, Puma, Pringles, Pantene, Pampers, and Tampax.

 

Target Market- Females from early 20’s to 50’s. Pantene is perceived as an economical, but quality product with a lot of technology behind it.  Pantene’s advantage is that it has been the leader in hair science since it was developed.  Pantene’s lab research allows them to create a product that advances hair health.  The technology and affordable price makes Pantene appealing to consumers. Pantene is the #1 selling shampoo worldwide.

 

Competition- L’Oreal, Garnier, Tressemme, Suave, Dove, Neutrogena, VO5.  I really like Tressemme’s approach to their packaging design.  Their design has a really good shelf presence compared to other brands.  I also feel like their design gives a salon quality look giving their product a higher perceived value.

 

Why I chose this product- I felt that overall that the packaging looks very plain and generic.  While the design is not completely horrible I think it could be much improved upon to make the packaging look more unique and stand out on the shelf.  When I was looking at this package on the shelf it was next to the generic Wal-Mart brand shampoo and honestly it blended in with it and did not catch my eye at all.  At first look I actually thought it was a generic brand.  Even though Pantene is a very economical brand it is definitely a big step above store generic and the packaging should reflect that.

My Strategy- My strategy behind the redesign is to first separate the look of the packaging away from a generic looking brand and giving the packaging better shelf presence and a more unique look.  Pantene’s biggest claim to fame compared to its competitors is the technology and research behind their product so I would like to show that someway with the packaging design.  I also want to give it a higher perceived value without completely losing its economical and consumer friendly feel.  I also was tossing around the idea of doing a new line of products such as a high-end salon quality variation or an all natural eco friendly variation.  And I'm not sure why all the text is underlined so sorry about that.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Somebody else is doing Pantene too! Anyway, I dont think Pantene is badly designed but I guess it would be nice to see something new. You have great ideas- can't wait to see them.

-deisy-

Unknown said...

Yes, "anonymous" is right. There is someone else doing this product, which is great. I'm looking forward to your final design dude. At least you are not doing ACNE related products... :)

Anonymous said...

interesting, two pantenes. sounds like your goals might be a bit different so the results of both projects will be hopefully different.

Asher Hunt said...

I look forward to seeing what kind of thumbnails you produce for this product. Do you plan on changing the shape of the bottle?

jan said...

I like your idea of creating high-end or eco friendly line of this brand. Doing it, itself, is very interesting. And also, it can make your project differ from the other one who are doing same product with you. Good Luck!!!

Lucineh said...

Maybe you should change the bottle shape? I used to like it when they had the round shape instead of this one. I think they may have messed with the ingredients as well since back in the days. I'm not too bothere by their design, but I think if you change the shape, you can come up with a great concept.
Good Luck!
Lucineh :]]

AoiMizuno said...

Another Pantene one. :) Like I said on the other one, I'm a Pantene fan. For me Pantene has a good design and logo. Probably just what I am used to. But I am very interested to see what designs you guys come up with. They're the kind of elegant yet affordable line. I am also wondering if you will be doing something with the bottle. I'll have to admit I think the conditioner bottles are kinda dull and clunky.

//Christine

JenChen said...

i like your idea of doing another line of high end salon quality products. Maybe you can a distinct type of shape for that so that it can be separate from the main line? Can't wait to see how your going to change the product.

- Jen

Terry Song said...

I use this product and I like it. Not because of the design and packaging but because it's a good and well known product. I'd be curious to see what effect it would have on myself as well as the rest of the buyer if it were to be redesigned. Go for it!